Saturday, August 30, 2008

Wide Open Spaces

You know, it is all about perspective. And sometimes I lose that fact.

I live a pretty great life, I'm successful professionally, I'm a strong independent woman raising a fabulous child. I've had the opportunity to be in love a few times and had my fair share of broken hearts. I have fantastic friends who are amazing humans in general and great to me.

But there are times... when I get caught in the negative and lose sight of all the great stuff. I forget that there are people who want children but haven't found someone to have one with or can't have children. There are people who have never been in love or who have never been loved back. There are people who struggle from career to career trying to find where they fit in. There are people in unhappy relationships, afraid to end them for fear of what might be on the other side.

It is in these moments when I get low and I can so clearly in my head say to myself- this is ridiculous- be grateful for what you have and who you are- for your life is wonderful- and at the same time ignore this and focus on the thing that is bothering me.

This is when I need the outdoors- when I need wide open space- when I need to see and understand the vastness of nature and appreciate it all.

I can't do as the Dixie Chicks say and head out west... but I can re energize in m my wide open spaces with Sunshine and be ready to tackle the rest of life's tests.

No comments: