Wednesday, July 9, 2008

You Have Three Chance to Land..

I've been trying to think of something funny to blog about, but frankly, I'm not feeling all that funny recently, so instead...

Along long time ago when I was in High School, I wanted to be a Navy Fighter Pilot. I know, who knew?? Me? But it is true, there was an allure for me, as I look back on it now, I think it was the idea that it was risky yet finite, as I used to say "You only have three chances to land" and then you are done, referring to the catch wires on the boat. Maybe it was just the Playing with the Boys volleyball seen from Top Gun, either way, I looked into going to the Naval Academy, and actually while in grad school applied for a job in Annapolis. Hmmm..

I ran into this kid who I had known a few years ago when he was still in High School, asked how he was doing, how school was going and he said good, but he was taking the semester and maybe the year off to go to Colorado. I said, you know, I don't regret anything I've done, if I had to do it all over again, would I have done it differently? Maybe? Maybe I would have not been so focused and driven on getting my education and finding a job, and taken more time to find myself earlier rather than later. Who knows, but I told him to have a blast.

So I've been pondering the Fighter Pilot desire, coupled with this intense ansiness, I am almost feeling like a caged animal, ready to pounce. Why did I stop wanting the 3 chances to land and when did I become so cautious?

And this week, I get a quote from a newsletter I get that and it simply says: "Do one thing everyday that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

So, I'm trying that out... one thing each day that scares me... and it is scary, but maybe in the process I'll rekindle that desire to only have 3 chances... wish me luck.

No comments: